No, the title of this blog isn't about the hit single from The Beastie Boys
- "Hold It How
|photo via: http://deardonaldvincent.com/2010/10/20/top-ten-greatest-hip-hop-groups/|
Instead, it's a title that's meant to shift the advocating illustrations of what the mainstream media portray Santa Clause to be. Given that it's the holiday season, it's also that time of year when we start seeing Santa Clause all around us - book stores, TV commericals, malls, Christmas cards, etc.
Before I go on, I ask you this - "What does Santa Clause look like to you?"
Is he the big, chubby red-cheeked man with the white beard wearing the red coat & pants? For the majority of you, this is what the ideal is.
For a fitness professional as myself, my image of Santa is different - a lot different!
We live in a fast paced, remote control driven, instant single-serving society and sadly many of us have succumbed to the pressures of everyday life - lack of exercise, fast food, sleep deprivation, etc.
- while paying the price for our most precious asset - our health!
Knowing that we're dealing with issues like cancer, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and sedentary lifestyles, some health professionals are promoting that the image of Santa Clause be cleaned up. If that be the case, then it looks like we better "ho ho hold the milk & cookies"
So why the sudden push to clean up Santa's appearance? Those who support the "Healthy Santa"
cite the following as their justification to do so:
- Santa is used as a marketing ploy to sell sugary and fatty foods to kids
- Children are encouraged to leave a plate of high fat & sugar cookies along with a glass of hormone-filled cows milk
- Santa's fat belly seems to be accepted as the societal norm - in other words, it's perfectly fine to be fat & obese! Or is it?
- In some countries, leaving Santa a shot of rum or brandy is customary and promotes "good luck" - Yeah, he's gonna need it especially after taking all those shots from visiting those homes world wide.
- Santa's trip down the chimney may encourage children to do the same - play in the fireplace or crawl up the chimney
I know some of the reasons above may sound 'ridonkulous', but the 'Healthy Santa' promoters are doing their best to reverse the ideals of Chris Kringle's image in hopes that it may help others live a healthier & active lifestyle - which many do not!
So, what if Santa did....
- Eat 5-7 meals each day - didn't skip meals >> most importantly breakfast
- Eat protein with every meal
- Eat a serving of veggies with every meal
- Decreased his fruit intake to a low-moderate level
- Decreased his grains, starches & sugar intake - replaced grains with greens
- Increased his healthy fat intake - fish oil, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts/seeds, nut butters, avocados
- Drink half his body weight in ounces of water each day
- Take his daily multivitamin
- Exercised using the principles of HIIT and compound exercises
- Move constantly - the human body was designed to move and 'Do Work'
- Go to bed at a decent hour rather than staying out all night - that way he can have an awesome start to his day the next day
If Santa did all of the above, he would be what I consider....
A Bad Ass Santa!!
What does 'Bad Ass Santa'
You too can transform your mind & body by adopting the same principles that "Bad Ass Santa"
does. Not only will you look & feel better, but you'll have an improved quality of life! Guaranteed!